Friday, February 18, 2011

"It's always good to leave something to come back for.."




Belfast!.. an unbelievable beautiful city with a long devastating history.
We arrived at about 6 or 7 and we instantly went to the Youth Hostel.
It was 6.5 pounds and we were in a room with other girls.

It was very nice, but I'm sure the other girls in the room thought we were crazy to be going to be reading in our beds and going to sleep early. We were all equally hungry when we got there. The conversion was uneasy to think about. We got Chinese food. I split a Vegetarian platter and oh did we get a ton of food!



Of course the rain poured the whole night, but we showered and got into our PJ's and read our books and went to bed.
We had a busy day ahead of us!




Off to the beautiful city we went after a breakfast of soda bread and jam and also a sandwich packed for lunch all for 2.45 pounds. Amazing.

The hostel receptionist helped us figure out what was worth seeing in Belfast. We wanted to see the the Giants Causeway, but it took too much time and the bus had already left at half 7. He had a warm smile and said, "It's always good to leave something to come back for.."
That was unforgettable.

We were off to a taxi tour to see the political side of the city. I cannot imagine a world that the driver was describing. No matter how many times I have researched the murals or have seen them in pictures, the only way to really understand everything is to see them up close.
Our taxi driver had heartfelt stories with ending that were not always happy or full of laughs. His accent was distinct, and one that I have not heard. He has known so many people to die int he conflict, it is hard to understand and grasp the life he has lived.


The Peace Wall was on the Protestant side. He said we has never gone past the wall. The first time he did was two years ago. It's crazy to think about that.
Our tour was supposed to be a hour and it went to almost 2 1/2. I wish honestly that I could have talked to him for longer. I want to know his story, the sad, the funny, the heartache, and everything in between. I wanted to listen to it all and understand someone else's life and the people that he has met along the way.

We signed the peace wall.
"All the darkness in the world cannot put out a single candle."

I wish I could of though of something better, but that randomly goes through my brain when I'm walking, and I ponder thoughts about it and always come up with the same conclusion of truth on the quote. At the same time for some reason, it makes me uneasy.. in a good way, if that makes any sense.


The Dali Lama's Quote, ""Open your arms to change, and don't let go of your values.."






The driver dropped us off near the Museum by the Botanic Gardens in Belfast. He didn't have to, and still charged us the same price... It's people like that who stay in my mind forever and I remember at random moments. Those are the people who I never want to forget, even if i only meet them once, I believe there is a reason why we have crossed paths.















The Botanic Gardens were beautiful! Hundreds of flowers everywhere with a smell that reminds me of when I was little visiting my uncle in his florist. I couldn't stop wishing my uncle was with me telling me what each flower was.




We then ate our packed lunches on the grounds. I cannot describe how beautiful the day was. The clouds in the sky were only a mere reminder of the rain the day before.
We then went into the Belfast Museum. It was gigantic and the best part of all was that it was free...
I got a picture of a piece of artwork that I apparently was not supposed to take a picture of... Rebel with out a cause.





One thing I did love about the museum was that it was very kid friendly and interactive. It was not that type that was all informative and full of information that people walk past. It was levels of different historical or artistic work displayed throughout the place. We also all attempted origami and made paper hearts in time for Valentines Day!

















After the Museum we walked back. I think we were all so exhausted. We were meeting our other roommate Phillip in Dundalk to continue our adventurous weekend...

( Aoife is amazing by the way... <3 )

No comments:

Post a Comment