Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Corcaigh.. (Cork, Ireland)



85 miles went by quickly.

We woke up extremely early friday morning and got a taxi to the train station. We then picked up the train to Cork. It was 17.50 round trip.

When we got to Cork we explored. We saw some beautiful churches and small streets. We crossed the river and climbed up the hills there. The churches were beautiful. I wish I understood the what was taught to me in school about the church because I think I would appreciate the beauty of the inside more if I was able to retain some information from my history classes.
There was a market there as well that had all fresh produce. I was tempted to stop and get some bread but the amount of bread I have been eating this week is ridiculous. So as my eyes wondered passed it, I felt them darting back. I envied the people behind the counter. I know that if it was myself, all of the loafs of bread would have the ends taken off and I would have a special stash of peanut butter hidden under the counter.

We met up with some of our friends at night. The sounds of the mumbling from all the voices and the glowing lights made the pubs feel like history was running through each sip of alcohol everyone drank.
We were clearly Americans, but it was fun to experience it.


Our hostel was very nice. The bunk beds felt like home. They creaked and shook but they were very comfortable. Our hotel was about 16 euro each... not bad at all.

The next day we woke up and went to kiss the infamous Blarnie stone. It was amazing. It was probably the nicest day we have had yet in Ireland. Water sparkled its way down the steam and the cold wind held up until nighttime.
Before we went I let a little bit early to get some breakfast. I was in a shop where behind the counter two men were putting soles on shoes. It was fascinating and they worked in sync together with out many words exchanged amongst them. It was probably almost 10 in the morning.
I asked on the men hanging up the backpacks if they also made shoes. He told me that they were just putting the soles on the shoes, and those men have been working for over 30 years in the shop. He was telling me a short history of the shop and how a small store grew over time into what they had today. He was a very nice man and I wish I could have sat down and talked to him over a nice coffee.. or well I guess a pint would be more proper here.

I stopped and fulfilled my hungry hungry stomach with one of the best thing I have had here yet in Ireland. An egg on a plain bagel. It was so fresh and yummy, and I washed it down with some tasty orange juice.
I was then ready to pucker up for the Blarnie Stone.

The walk to the castle was short but beautiful. I threw 3 cents into the river and made wished for 3 things. I know I will never know if they came true, but it’s always worth to make a wish for.

The castle was gorgeous. Stone steps to the top that were narrow and windy with hidden rooms all with windows. I would like to see what the castle would have looked like in use and not just from my imagination because I can barley imagine it.
When you get to the top there are 2 men standing there. One takes you picture and the poor man to the left of you is holding your body so you don’t fall to the ground. I know that if I was to fall he would not be able to keep me up. haha

We soon ran to get the bus and headed back to the bus station in Cork to return home.
The ride home was peaceful. Between nods of falling asleep I watched some of the countryside fly by, and also saw some small towns the bus drove through.

The weekend was very successful, and not much money was spent to get around.































No comments:

Post a Comment